Thursday, April 14, 2016

the lonely hunter

“I am drifting in over my head and want my mother to grab me out of the tide” (6).

This is a metaphorical statement. Meredith of course is not drowning, but she is caught in a wave of hard times and I can understand where it is that she is coming from. When a young girl is trapped or upset or hurt, all they want is to be home with their mother. All they want is some motherly support and it seems to me that she is not receiving it. I can relate to her hard times, I have been down and upset and when I am I want nothing more than to go home and hug my mom after a long, hard day. It seems to me as though Meredith is trapped in a state of loneliness and she needs help getting out and wants to turn to that one person who is supposed to always be there for you.

1 comment:

  1. I so love all the ocean vocabulary she uses throughout this chapter. She is constantly evoking the image of tides pulling away from the shore to show how her mind is unsettled, unsure, looking for answers. She has nothing to anchor her (see what I did there?). No support at home and no true sense of who she is or should be at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete